BEFORE UPLOADING ANY DOCUMENTS ONTO THE PORTAL FOR CITIZENSHIP IURE MATRIMONII, CIVES, YOU MUST EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org. DO NOT UPLOAD ANY DOCUMENTS until you get a reply from the Citizenship Office.
For general information on Italian citizenship and the different ways to obtain it, please visit the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. Concerning the jurisdiction of the Consular Office in Washington D.C., we would like to highlight the following:
- Recognition of Italian Citizenship “jure sanguinis” (by descent):
- The Citizenship Office receives by appointment only all new applicants wishing to acquire Italian citizenship jure sanguinis as per Italian Law 555/1912. To contact the Office in charge, please click here.
- Applications must be submitted in person. No individuals representing the applicants or agencies are recognized by the Consular Office to act as intermediaries. Applicants may choose, at their own expense and under their own responsibility, to hire said agencies or third parties only to gather the necessary documentation.
- Only those residing within our consular jurisdiction may apply. Please verify which Italian Consulate has jurisdiction over your residence on our consular network page.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Visit the following page for further information about eligibility rules, documentation required, and to download an application form.
- In order to submit your citizenship application, you may set up an appointment at the Embassy of Italy by using the online booking system.
- On the date of the appointment please bring the application form completely filled out.
- The consular fee for applying for recognition of “Iure Sanguinis” citizenship in the period from October 1 to December 31, 2023 is equal to 327.00 US dollars. Payment must be made at the consular office on the day of the appointment by cashier’s check or money order made out to “Embassy of Italy, Washington DC”.
- Acquisition of Italian citizenship “jure matrimonii” (by marriage or civil union)
- Please refer to relevant section on the Italian-language version of this page by clicking here.
For further information on Italian citizenship and on the different ways to obtain it not described above, please visit the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and email the Citizenship Office of the Embassy of Italy in Washington at email@example.com
Information on the protection of individuals with reference to the processing of personal data for the purposes of recognition of Italian citizenship jus sanguinis or of its acquisition by naturalization