ATTENTION! AIRE registration requests or changes submitted via FAST IT are given priority processing over those submitted via other means.
The AIRE was established by Law no. 470 of 1988 (text in Italian): Registering with the AIRE is an Italian citizen’s right and duty and a prerequisite for the use of certain services provided by diplomatic and consular missions abroad, as well as for exercising important rights.
For general information on the AIRE and registration requirements, click here.
If you reside in the consular district of Washington, D.C., you may submit your application and all other correspondence regarding the AIRE:
- via the Fast It Portal *preferred submission method*
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by mail to the following address:
Embassy of Italy – Office of Consular Affairs – 3000 Whitehaven Street, NW – Washington, DC 20008
Your application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- AIRE registration form, downloadable from the link at the bottom of this page;
- valid Italian passport for each of the applicant’s family members;
- proof of legal residence in the United States, if available: visa, permanent resident card, U.S. passport or naturalization certificate (if applicant has dual citizenship);
- proof of residence (driver’s license, telephone, electric or other utility bills).
As is the case in Italy with the municipalities, citizens living abroad must notify the Consular Office of any changes when they occur:
- changes of address;
- changes in marital status (marriage, divorce, widowhood);
- births of children, adoptions, and deaths.
To communicate changes, download the appropriate form at the bottom of this page.
Italian citizens should also inform the Consular Office in the following cases:
- if you are permanently relocating to Italy (page available in Italian);
- if you lose your Italian citizenship.
In case you move to another consular district:
- Italian citizens resident abroad who move to another consular district must notify the new Consular Office responsible for their place of residence within 90 days, which shall, in turn, inform the Municipality in Italy and the Italian Consular Office in which the citizen was previously resident.
- AIRE: Registration / Update Form
- Customs Repatriation Form
- Declaration Form for Importing Audiovisual Equipment
To contact the AIRE section of the Consular Offices in Washington, click here