This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK




I would like to learn Italian. What alternatives do I have?

  • If you are a student interested in attending Italian courses at school, please look at the list of schools offering Italian following this link.
  • If you are a parent looking for an Italian course for your kids, please look at the list of the Enti Gestori and Educational Offices following this link.
  • If you are an adult interested in learning Italian, please call the nearest Italian Cultural Institute or Ente Gestore (see the above link).

I’m interested in taking the AP Italian Language and Culture Exam. What should I do?

  • If you are a senior in high school who has already taken Italian, speak with your teacher and ask him/her in order to organize an AP Course.
  • If you are a student and a native speaker of Italian, please contact the nearest Education Office of the Italian Consulate in your school district following this link;
  • In any case, please see this College Board webpage.

My qualifications obtained in the United States are worth in Italy?

The Embassy/Italian Consulate nearest to the school in the USA you attended can certify the equivalence of Americans qualifications.

The Consular section at the Embassy is responsible for all schools and universities in Washington area (even if the student comes from other States).

I’m going to Italy, how can I enroll my children in an Italian school?

All foreign students (or coming from abroad) are required to attend school under the laws in force in the Italian Republic and are therefore required to enroll in a school if they had not attended one, in their country, for ten years.

According to the Law, students can enroll at any time of year and regardless of the regularity of their residence; they are conditionally admitted if they have no record of the ages.

For the enrollment they are requested the same documents that are requested to Italian citizens, that is identity and vaccinations.

A certificate of previous schooling is useful to understand the curriculum and the skills of the student.

In case of enrolling in high school, the certificate of studies carried out must be translated and submitted for validation to the Italian Consulate before leaving the Country.

At the High School you are required to pay the registration fee and to show the student’s residence permit in Italy (a self-certification is accepted).

Are my Italian educational qualifications recognized in the USA?

There is no official agreement between Italy and the USA for the recognition of educational qualifications. American universities could evaluate each qualification differently depending on the requirements that each university program has and on the educational background of the students. Whoever is interested in the admission policy of a particular university should contact that institution directly and see if the requirements are met. The equivalence of the qualifications is certified by American Consulate or Embassy closest to the school that issued it.

Are my American educational qualifications recognized in Italy?

Each Italian Consulate in the USA has jurisdiction over a specific geographic area and may certify scholastic documents issued only by accredited academic institutions within its jurisdiction for those who might be interested in studying in Italy. The jurisdiction of the Embassy of Italy in includes Washington, DC, Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties in Maryland, Arlington and Fairfax Counties in Virginia.

How do I enroll my children in an Italian school?

According to the DPR order of August 31,1999, students coming from other countries can enroll in an Italian school at any time of the year, even if their residency permit (permesso di soggiorno) has not become valid. In order to enroll a child in an Italian school, the required documents are the same both for Italian and foreign students, i.e. identification and vaccination papers. It is also important to obtain documents certifying all prior years of the child’s education during the mandatory school years, while all documents concerning secondary education must be translated and validated by the Italian Consulate in the country of origin. In order to attend secondary school, the child is required to have a residency permit (that can be obtained with a self-certification) and tuition must be paid to the school.

How to find schools that organize AP Italian exam.

If you are parent or teacher and would like to enroll your child or one of your students to the Italian AP exam as a homeschooled student, look at the following link.
You can ask for information to the following contacts too. Through your ZIP CODE, AP Service will identify the nearest school that accepts homeschooled students.

Mailing Address: AP Services
P.O. Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-6671
Phone: 888 225-5427 (toll-free in the U.S. and Canada) or 609 771-7300
TTY: 609 882-4118
Fax: 609 530-0482

Call Center Hours: M-F, 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM ET