This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK




Italian citizens in the United States with a J-1 visa (Exchange Visitor Program), which requires that you return to Italy for at least two years after it expires, and wish to extend your stay in order to pursue further research or accept an offer of employment from a U.S. agency or institution, you are required to apply for a special waiver from the U.S. Department of State and then obtain a No Objection Statement from the Embassy of Italy in Washington (DC).

The No Objection Statement must be requested to the Consular Office of the Embassy of Italy in Washington in compliance with the following:

  • A brief request in Italian specifying the reasons for the waiver application is to be submitted promptly thereafter to the Consular Office, by e-mail at The request must be accompanied by the following documents:
    1. A copy of the passport (pages containing personal data and visas only);
    2. A complete and updated curriculum vitæ in Italian in Word format containing your contact information;
    3. A copy of the document from the U.S. Department of State intitled "Third Party Barcode Page" (1 page only).

The average wait time for the release of the No Objection Statement is about 45 days to be counted from the email application or from the documentation completion (if requested). Submissions will be reviewed, without exception, in the order they are received.

How the process evolves:

  • After reviewing each application, the Consular Office requests authorization from the Ministry of Education, University, and Research (MIUR), which typically responds within one month.
  • Once approval has been received from the Ministry of Education, the Consular Office provides a “No Objection Statement” to the U.S. Department of State.
  • The involvement of the Consular Office terminates with the submission of the statement to the Department of State and no comunication will be sent to the applicant.

The Consular Office transmits waivers for Fulbright recipients as well. Please bear in mind that it may take some time before a response is received from U.S. Authorities.

To contact the Consular Office - J-1 Waivers Office, click here