This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Registry of Italians Residing Abroad (AIRE)


Registry of Italians Residing Abroad (AIRE)

The AIRE was established by Law no. 470 1988. Registering with the AIRE is a right and duty of the citizen and is a prerequisite for use of certain services provided by diplomatic and consular missions abroad, as well as for the exercise of important rights.

For general information on the AIRE and the requirements for registering with the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, click here.

If you reside in the consular district of Washington, D.C. you can send your application and all other correspondence regarding the AIRE:

  • by e-mail to:
  • by postal mail to:
    Embassy of Italy, Office of Consular Affairs, 3000 Whitehaven Street, NW,Washington, DC 20008-3612

The application must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • AIRE registration form, downloadable from the link at the bottom of this page;
  • Italian passport valid for each of the family members of the applicant;
  • proof of legal residence in the US, if available: visa, permanent resident card, U.S. passport or naturalization certificate (if applicant has dual citizenship);
  • proof of residence (driver's license, telephone, electric or other utility bills).

As is the case in Italy with the municipalities, citizens living abroad must notify the Consular Office of any changes when they occur:

  • changes of address;
  • changes in marital status (marriage, divorce, widowhood);
  • births of children, adoptions, and deaths.

To communicate updates, download the appropriate form at the bottom of this page.

Italian citizens should also advise the Consular Office in the following cases:

  • if you are permanently relocating to Italy. To learn what to do before you leave the United States and after your permanent move to Italy, click here;
  • if you lose your Italian citizenship.

In the case of transfer to another consular district:

  • Italian citizens resident abroad who transfer to another consular district must notify the new Consular Office governing their place of residence within 90 days, which shall, in turn, inform the Municipality in Italy and the Italian Consular Office in which the citizen was previously resident.


To contact the AIRE section at the Consular Office in Washington, click here